Sunday, September 22, 2019

Poetry: Halloween Poem #1




With Apologies to A.E. Housman
An homage by Joseph Salvatore Knipper

Scraggliest of trees, the dead oak now 
Is hung with bronze along the bow.
It looms unsapped, in night to bide
And rasp the drafts of Hallowstide.

Now towards my immortal life to be
In years, I’ve traveled thirty three;

So might in heav'n there await 
A grove of oaks past iron gate
To sit when I grow bored of bliss
And pine for wind, dead leaves, and mist?

Since know not I when such be seen 
I’ll savor every Halloween.




7 Desires of Halloween Series update: I'm having a lot of trouble writing #6, so I figured I'd change gears and publish a poem I've been working on since last Halloween.  The poem isn't 100% yet (and there are major theological issues with growing "bored with bliss"), but on the third draft I think it's ready to be published.  I hope you like it. 

 I hope to have the essays on desire #6 and #5 up by the first weekend of October.

Best,

"Epimetheus"

1 comment:

Cas5123K said...

I’m obsessed with the poem!!