Saturday, September 14, 2019

Introduction, or why you may not want to read this blog


Like everybody, I have a lot of thoughts.  Like a still significant but greatly reduced percentage of everybody, I want to share said thoughts with a wider audience.  Unfortunately, I have very few opportunities for this in life.  My political opinions are far too liberal for my relatives and far too conservative for my friends.  My geek opinions are too surface level for my geek friends and too in-depth for my nongeek friends.  And sharing religious views is always a dance upon a knife’s edge.

Shortly after Leia asked Han if he had ever had purified his thetan.
Image credit: Star Wars, duh.

By virtue of my being where I am and not where you are, this is that this blog will probably offend you.  This does not mean I am *trying* to offend, attack, molest, or otherwise irk you personally.  However, a certain percentage of people who read this will decide that I am a persona non grata nevertheless.  If, after reading any part of this blog, you decide you don’t need my voice in your life, I respect your right to steward your energy and time as you see fit.  But take a deep breath first, please.

With this in mind, I make a public promise: I will avoid any serious (i.e. non-satirical) anger on this blog.  I may jibe good naturedly, especially about the inconsequential (for instance, if you believe that soft cookies are superior to crunchy cookies then I must question your taste in all matters as crunchy cookies are clearly superior), but I promise to avoid venom.  This blog may still offend you, but I will not make it intentionally offensive out of bitterness.

Seriously, have you tried these?  They are ultimate proof that cookie dough is meant to be actually cooked.


There is a second reason you may not want to read this blog: I am not a theologian. 

Allow me to explain: many of my opinions are shaped by the fact that I am a Catholic Christian in the Western Tradition.  Most of my blogs will touch upon this on some way, because it is the lens through which I view the world. (Well, Catholicism and Lord of the Rings, but I risk redundancy by saying so.)

Image credit: https://i.imgflip.com/2jr8me.jpg

However, this in no way qualifies me to speak for the Catholic Church.  I am not trained as either a a theologian or an apologist.  I will get some things wrong.  I don’t think they’ll be big things, but big things are built upon subtle foundations.  If you are a Catholic theologian/apologist, and I’m committing a grave error, feel free to let me know.  If you are not Catholic, please don’t take me as an authoritative voice.  Instead, consider this blog an invitation to do your own research on a point of theology you might not otherwise have had any interest in.

So what is this blog for?  Why “Cobwebs?”  The primary purpose of this blog is to follow the web of my thoughts until I come across something interesting, untangle it, and share it with the world.  The hope is that others find it interesting too, and I have reason to continue.  If others don’t, at least my mind's crooked ways were made a little straighter by the journey.

4 comments:

hazmatttt said...

Clearly, you've fallen off of a fire escape. Soft cookies are much better. "Crunchy" cookies are simply the stale version and have lost their freshness. Maybe you've never had them fresh baked or your oven needs to be recalibrated, either way some egregious mistake has been made. Alternately, if you want a crunchy snack that's intended to be enjoyed that way, try potato chips.

hazmatttt said...

On a serious note, I totally relate to not relating. As a Buddhist Libertarian living in just outside NYC, I feel completely disconnected from the SJW's that seem to make up my peer group (even though my political beliefs fall very left of center). My theological beliefs are don't fall into the established Judeo-Christian normative (however derivative or diluted) and aren't quite secular, but New Agers make me want to empty my stomach. Thanks for sharing this!

hazmatttt said...

No soft-bake cookies, no pineapple pizza (don't go to Hawaii, brah)... This is the same lunacy that keeps chunky peanut butter on the shelves!! It shouldn't be in the same plane of existence as smooth, creamy peanut butter. This is inherent in the name: "butter" of any kind should not have lumps.

Cas5123K said...

This introduction is perfect!